Best Overall: Allstate
Allstate offers some of the best discounts in the business. The company makes insurance easy to obtain while catering to first-time homebuyers, seniors and home sharers.
They are on the cutting edge of optimizing their customers’ coverages, utilizing advances in technology to customize products and enhance their value.
Allstate is a winner or an honorable mention in 6 of the 13 categories on our Top Home Insurance Companies list.
- Among the first to offer products and services that meet the changing times
- Makes it easy to obtain home insurance, especially for first-time buyers
- Winner or honorable mention in 4 of our 13 best categories
- Known for competitive rates
- Consistently rates high for financial stability and customer satisfaction
- Among the best in home insurance for older homes and first-time homebuyers
Best for Competitive Rates: Chubb
Competitive rates means a good price for the coverages provided. You could buy the cheapest home insurance, but chances are the coverage is going to be very limited.
Chubb premium discounts that deliver considerable savings. But the company also has the most comprehensive protection for the price. Its home insurance policies include services not offered by many insurers like:
- Home assessment service
- Complimentary infrared home scan of walls and ceilings to look for leaks, faulty electrical connections, missing insulation, etc.
- Complimentary wildfire defense services to keep your home safe before and during a wildfire
- Among the cheapest rates throughout the U.S.
- Good number of discounts to lower price even more
- Coverage protects against a good number of weather, non-weather and accidental direct physical losses
Erie Insurance Group
- Customize your coverage to what you want
- 100% guaranteed replacement cost
- Extensive coverage with fewer exclusions than the competition
Best for Discounts: Allstate
Home insurance companies offer discounts to help its customers lower their insurance costs. These savings reward policyholders for helping to minimize the loss risk to their property.
Allstate stands alone offers a combination of standard industry discounts, like protective device discounts, and easy to obtain ones, like:
- 25% multi-policy discount
- 10% welcome and loyalty discount for new and current customers
- 5% discount for setting up automatic payments
- 5% for recent homebuyer or for a newly constructed home
Additional discounts are available for 55 and retired homeowners, smoke-free homes, and homes with hail resistant roofs or storm shutters.
Allstate offers a 20% discount for customers without recent home insurance claims who switch from a different insurer.
- Household level discounts for new home, do-it-yourself home inspection, home safety features, smoke-free, hail resistant roof, storm shutters and claim-free
- Policy level discounts for multi-policies, new customer, loyal customer, paying your premium on time and future effective date
- Easy-to-get savings, like a paperless discount, automated payment discount, newly purchased home discount and early shopper discount
- Offers military discount, new roof discount, protective devices discount and insured to value discount
Highest Rated: Amica
The best home insurance providers are the ones who score the highest in all aspects of financial strength and service.
Amica consistently receives a superior rating for its financial strength and the highest possible customer satisfaction score.
Its high rating reflects its commitment to foster lasting relationships with its customers. It is among the home insurers with the fewest customer complaints.
Amica has standard and extended coverage offerings, so homeowners can customize a policy that meets their needs. Numerous policy and safety discounts add to their customers’ satisfaction.
- Exclusive to active and retired military personnel only
- A++ financial strength rating
- 5 out of 5 customer satisfaction score
- A++ financial strength rating
- 3 out of 5 customer satisfaction score
Easiest to Obtain: Allstate
The best home insurance providers use technology to make their homeowners insurance easy to obtain and manage.
With Allstate, you can get a personalized home insurance quote from its website or its mobile app.
Existing customers can access their policy online to make a payment, access policy forms and documents, or submit policy updates.
You can also file a claim or review its status from your online account. Or use mobile app or 24/7 toll-free phone number for claims service.
Customer service by phone is available 24/7. You can also send an e-mail, tweet, or regular postal mail correspondence.
- Online homeowners insurance quote from its website or mobile app
- Local GEICO insurance agents in offices throughout the United States
- Customer service by phone 7 days a week, from early morning to late evening to accommodate all time zones
- Existing customers can access their policy online to make a payment, file a claim, review their coverage, or submit policy updates
- Lets you compare home insurance quotes and coverages with other home insurers
- 24/7 sales and customer service toll-free phone number as well as online chat and e-mail
- Online account or mobile app for managing your account, making a payment, viewing coverages and discounts, filing a claim and other services
Best for Service: Amica
Service encompasses all types of contact with a home insurance company. It might be a customer service representative, an agent, or a claims service representative.
Amica is known for its all-around quality service. Its vision statement promises to “create peace of mind and build enduring relationships.”
All interactions with the company are tops in terms of responsiveness and a quick resolution to the issue at hand.
Amica is a mutual company, which means it is owned by its policyholders. It does not use agents to sell its products. All contact comes through a knowledgeable customer service representatives. This ensures all customers consistently receive a high level of service.
Erie Insurance Group
- 90% of its customers remain with them year after year
- Founded on a culture of service
- Local agents, field offices, customer care team and 24/7 support
- Among the highest in consumer and insurance ratings for customer service and claim service
- Service catered to situations faced by active and retired military members and their families
- 24/7 virtual agent
Best for First-Time Buyers: Allstate
The best home insurance companies make the introduction to home ownership less stressful. They provide new homebuyers with easy to read information to make educated decisions.
Allstate provides a wealth of resources for first-time homebuyers on its website. The information covers how to:
- Choose a house
- Pay for it
- Protect your investment
Using the website’s two interactive tools, new homebuyers can predict their risks and coverage needs. They learn which factors impact the cost of their home insurance and the common and costly claims in their neighborhood.
- Progressive Life Lanes provides expert guidance, tips and tools on all sorts of household topics
- A company website with a guide to home insurance for the first-time homebuyer
- Comprehensive homeowners insurance articles for beginners
- Offers information on navigating the process of buying a home for the first time
- Homeowners insurance web page includes helpful Q&As and searchable articles on how to buy homeowners insurance
Best for Military Members and Veterans: (TIE) USAA and AFI
The best home insurance companies offer a comprehensive policy to active and retired military personnel that covers the risks their homes may face. They also have discounts to help them save while on active duty or when retired.
- USAA exclusively insures the homes of active and retired military members and their families. Its homeowners policy caters to the military, such as providing coverage for uniforms damaged in a loss.
Home-sharing coverage is included for renting out your home or a room while deployed.
USAA also offers a 10% discount for insuring both your home and auto with them.
- Armed Forces Insurance (AFI) provides home insurance to all active and retired members of the U.S. military branches and their families. Its comprehensive homeowners insurance package protects the dwelling, personal property and personal liability.
Additional coverage options allow for policy customization to meet your specific coverage needs.
- Has a separate military center staffed by veterans who sell and service military homeowners insurance policies
- Provides a military discount up to 15%
- Has an emergency deployment discount
Best for Seniors-AARP Homeowners from Hartford
The best home insurance companies for seniors offer flexible policies that can be customized to meet changing needs. They offer specific senior discounts, loyalty discounts, or referral discounts to longtime customers.
AARP has partnered with The Hartford to offer a homeowners insurance program for its age 50 and older members. The policy includes benefits and services especially for AARP members like a retiree credit discount and lifetime renewability.
This allows seniors to age in place without worrying about losing coverage due to the number of homeowners claims they submit.
- Offers a senior/retired discount
- Customized policies to cover homes, condos, townhouses and mobile homes
- Personalized coverage assistant tool helps seniors buy the coverage they need
- Senior living insurance for coverage in assisted living facilities and nursing homes
Best for Older Homes: Chubb
Because of their age, older houses may be more at risk for damage during a storm or wiring and plumbing problems. Historic homes may need special building materials or decorative features.
Chubb insures older homes, historic homes and high value homes. Its dwelling coverage repairs or rebuilds the home’s structure to its original condition, even if the cost exceeds the policy’s limit.
Unlike other home insurers that use actual cash value to lower their risk, Chubb’s home policies provide extended replacement cost coverage.
The company also offers a complimentary risk consultant to document your home’s architecture and details to ensure they are restored to their original design after a loss.
Foremost Insurance Group
- The member of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies offers a specialty homeowners policy
- Option of extended replacement cost
- Add-on coverages so you can design a policy that’s right for your older home
- Covers homes of all ages, even more than 100 years old
- Sells its standard homeowners policy so you’re not paying extra due to your home’s age
- Ample home insurance discounts to lower your rate
Best for Condos and Townhouses: MetLife
A good condo policy provides protection for everything within the walls of the residence. It also addresses any gaps between your responsibility as a condo owner and that of the condo association’s insurance policy.
MetLife provides customized condo insurance policies so you can buy the protection that meets your needs.
Its policies feature replacement cost coverage and loss assessment protection to cover assessments from your condo association.
All condo policies include identity protection services and worldwide personal belongings coverage. Numerous discounts are available to lower the cost of your condo insurance.
- Personalized coverage options to meet your needs and budget
- Declining deductibles
- Numerous discounts offer more savings opportunities
- Offers basic and optional condo coverages so you can design a policy to fit your needs
- Wide array of condo insurance discounts
Best for Home Sharing: Progressive
Neither standard homeowners policies nor rental service agreements cover home sharing. That means owners who rent their living spaces through online vacation and rental marketplaces require insurance to fill coverage gaps in their policy.
The best home insurance companies for home sharing give homeowners pay-per-use coverage when hosting short-term rentals.
Progressive partners with Slice to provide home share coverage when it is needed. Homeowners select the dates they need the coverage and the protection goes in force the same day.
The cost is minimal, averaging $8 a night, and most of the coverages do not have a deductible.
Progressive’s home share policy features 18 additional coverages specific to home sharing. Among them are excess use of utilities, liquor liability coverage, infestation coverage and identity theft protection.
- Covers theft and personal property damage
- Protection up to $10,000 per rental host period
- Available as an endorsement to an Allstate homeowners or condo policy
- Replaces your homeowners policy with an all-inclusive policy that includes short-term rental insurance for home sharing
- Offered in all 50 states
- Underwritten by Lloyd’s of London
Best for Green Homes: Farmers
The best home insurance companies for green homes offer reduced rates and discounts to homeowners who practice sustainable building practices.
Farmers Insurance offers an eco-rebuild endorsement to its homeowners policy. The option kicks in when a home needs to be rebuilt after a total loss.
The endorsement provides an additional $25,000 for the use of green materials and appliances that meet Energy Star requirements. It also reimburses costs for recycling debris and waste instead of disposing it in a landfill.
If the home uses an alternative energy source, the endorsement reimburses the homeowner for the power lost because of the loss.
- 5% discount if home is green certified by the LEED organization
- Homeowners policy option includes rebuilding a non-green home with green materials after a loss
- Optional green rebuilding coverage expands coverage 10% so you can use green materials and processes or upgrade to Energy Star appliances
- Green rebuilding option available on all homeowners plans
- Exclusive home insurance provider to AARP members
Best for Manufactured or Mobile Homes: Allstate
Mobile homes are more at risk for certain disasters, like hurricanes and tornadoes. Coverage for these risks are not always included in a mobile home policy.
Allstate covers manufactured and mobile homes like traditional homes. It offers standard home insurance coverage, modified to the special considerations of a manufactured home.
Their mobile home insurance includes its standard lineup of home insurance discounts like:
- An original owner discount
- A 55 and retired discount
- A multi-policy discount
- Protective device discounts
Allstate offers optional coverages, like yard and garden insurance or coverage for expensive sports equipment or musical instruments.
American Family Insurance
- Builds a “personally tailored” mobile or manufactured home insurance policy
- Offers extra protection coverages, like a matching siding endorsement, other structures coverage and trip collision
- Wide array of discounts
- Specialized protection includes the mobile home plus additions, like porches and carports
- Replacement cost coverage to protect against depreciation
- Range of discounts and deductible options